This is the place to discuss anything regarding Factions. Post suggestions, ask questions etc...

QUESTION OF THE WEEK : What is a faction ?

Postby Triadian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:19 pm

so we all know that a community makes the game more enjoyable, so to that end what exactly do you think a game should allow you to do as a community. when you play a game any game that has a clan/guild/faction/team system implemented what are the best parts of the systems and what are the worst, what do we definitely need to give you and which bits should we avoid ?
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK : What is a faction ?

Postby RockSauron » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Well, I think you should allow factions to decide if they are a dictatorship or a democracy. As in, if the people can vote who is in positions of power or if they can't.

Also, allow people to set up their own positions with their own permissions. Like, uh, if this person can approve if a building is built in a certain spot or not.
RockSauron

Medals: 1
2012 Silver Medalist (1)
Total Points: 1,563.22 W¢
Bank: 3,552.10 W¢

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Being able to build towns of course, A faction bank would be nice.

Will there be Faction PvP?
Galileo Galilei wrote:All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.

Albert Einstein wrote:Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Tony

Medals: 1
2012 Bronze Medalist (1)
Total Points: 442.00 W¢
Bank: 5,682.28 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 pm

that would be upto the players
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Thaliost » Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Faction for me is a group of entities (like clans) who are united in (at least) one common goal. Although as I understand it, a faction in this game would be kinda like a normal clan.

I love games that allow you to have huge factions and for real world politics to arise (like in eve, darkfall, etc).

Many games have pre-set positions (like leader, officer, member). I think it's quite useful to have customisable roles where you can decide what name you want for a particular role and what "powers" you want that role to have.

Another thing that is quite important but is dependant on the game's features is the access to the clan's bank/vault/hangar/whatever. It is quite useful to be able to customise access to it as well.
And the same for many other roles (architect, diplomatic officer, recruitment oficer, etc).

Being able to decide on a faction's "logo" or colours would also be a nice addition (they could appear on an avatar's tabard, on the faction's buildings/siege machines, etc). Think this might put a bit of a strain on the game so it's not vital for me.

Other great things about belonging to a clan, is the clan chat, ability to distinguish your clan mates and working/scheming together. "All" that the game needs to do is provide the mechanisms for players/guilds devise their plans.
Thaliost

Total Points: 27.76 W¢
Bank: 28.55 W¢

Postby Triadian » Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 pm

we agree with everything in your post Thaliost, and we will do our utmost to make factions as user friendly and customizable as possible. we do plan on having a faction emblem as well although not sure about tabards yet but definitely on important buildings etc.
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Thaliost » Wed May 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Triadian wrote:we agree with everything in your post Thaliost

yay :thumbsup:
(I only had eyes for this part .p)
Thaliost

Total Points: 27.76 W¢
Bank: 28.55 W¢

Postby TheeLord » Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 pm

I second tris sentiment. We are huge believers of giving players tools necessary to manage their in-game possessions how they seefit. I think giving players total freedom and then the tools to prevent anarchy will make factions a sandbox like none other.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Mostai » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:45 am

I believe a faction should be:
Sort of like a city with their own democracy
So every say week the players in that faction can decide upon whom they wish to vote for to become say "Faction Leader/King" I believe the faction should have a starting faction/Town (Depending upon how big City)
If one player Reaches Say 80 people out of 100 in their guild, And they have sufficiant resources and gold to go and make their own faction they should be able to do so upon a special thing called "Followers"

So review XD
Faction is a city with their own democracy which every week players inside the faction can decide who is faction leader. A faction should have a starting town/City depending upon how big the faction is. If a guild reaches 80 out of 100 people in their guild and have sufficiant resources and gold to create a new stand alone faction with the support of a certain ammount of followers (50) Then they should be able to make a new faction and build up their own town/City and dictate their rules within that faction and have votes for that faction.
Mostai

Total Points: 100.00 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:26 am

2 things strike me,

1 i think a vote every week would be a bit excessive, i was thinking say once a month with an option of calling an election at any specific time.
2 why would a faction who were 100 strong want to divide itself in half ?

i'm also curious as to why it would take half the faction to form a new group, surely if 5 players wanted to leave and form a breakaway faction we should allow them to ? so i would have to ask what benefits would you expect half the faction to have upon starting a new faction that say a breakaway faction of 5 members wouldn't have ?
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:45 am

We will also leave it up to the faction if they want to hold elections or not.
Also, there will not be limitations on minimum players in a faction, surely 2 or 3 very dedicated and intelligent players can be just as powerful as 10 or 20 aloof players.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby RajCaj » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:43 pm

TheeLord wrote:I second tris sentiment. We are huge believers of giving players tools necessary to manage their in-game possessions how they seefit. I think giving players total freedom and then the tools to prevent anarchy will make factions a sandbox like none other.

Love it! I think the right balance is to provide the infrastructure, but stop short of automation.

The only thing I can think to add to this, and the other great suggestions is to address behavior motivation / social engineering via a faction reputation system

I touched on this briefly in another thread, but it could include faction reputation rewards for performing certain activities in the game that are conducive, or detrimental to your faction.

For example, a faction warsmith might require that a blacksmith have a min required positive faction reputation, gotten by crafting items for the faction.

A faction warsmith might be able to create special faction items (weapons / armor that have faction specific colors or logos) for faction members have a certain minimum required positive reputation.

The reputation could also be used to help faction organizers to determine which members are fit for duty of other roles within the faction.
RajCaj

Total Points: 245.00 W¢

Return to FACTIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION