This is the place to discuss anything regarding Factions. Post suggestions, ask questions etc...

QUESTION OF THE WEEK : Why Did You Quit Your Last Game ?

Postby Triadian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:27 pm

In a follow on from the last question about things we can learn from other games lets expand on the subject slightly by asking :-

What was the last MMO/Sandbox you played ? if you still play it what aspects keep you playing, if you no longer play it why not ? what made you want to quit it ? could the makers of the game done something to keep your attention ?
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK : Why Did You Quit Your Last Game ?

Postby TheeLord » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:18 am

well, I think the last really applicable sandbox games I've played are:

Xsyon - No challenge except figuring out how to navigate the interface and the mountains, didn't feel any challenge to want to build shelters or tools etc... More of a (pointless) building game it seemed unfortunately.

Darkfall and Mortal - They are so similar that I am going to lump them together here. They are both like 50% sandbox, and I think because of that they fail at being a story driven MMO and also fail at being a sandbox MMO..

Eve - I was completely intrigued by the concept and tried so so hard to get into the game, but the setting and the combat system were both complete turn offs. Also, some sort of optional corporation placement would have been a huge help here.

Can't wait to hear other people's responses!
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:55 pm

running this for a second week due to the overwhelming responses :P
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Thezookeeper » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 am

90 % of the time I have quit playing something is due mostly to time constraints. I have limited days/hrs a week I can play something that I really enjoy at the moment and if it is a game where it takes me hrs to complete just a single task, then I often will focus my time playing something else when my real life does not allow me to play for hrs on end. Because of this I usually only allow myself a couple games to focus on. If however the game has things I can work on quickly when play time is short yet still leave me challenging things to work on when I have a day off ? Well that is the combination that keeps me coming back for years.
Thezookeeper

Medals: 1
2012 Gold Medalist (1)
Total Points: 25.00 W¢
Bank: 8,270.95 W¢

Postby Triadian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 am

thankyou very much for that insight, we'll bear that in mind
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Definitely something I personally hope to acomplish also, giving something meaningful for groups of all sizes to do and individuals of different character progression levels and amount of play time available is very important.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby junkerjeremias » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I am currently reading a book about: how to make games fun, and apparently its extremely important for a game to be challenging all the time. I often lost interest in games after I mastered the pattern to beat it. Most of them introduce everything to you step by step so that you won't lose the overview and give up because its too confusing. But often they fail to provide me with something new as I move on. It's like: here are the basics, now go through 100 lvls of different worlds always doing the same... at some point it gets boring
... and that answers the actual question: I quit most of the games because they start to get boring somehow.
junkerjeremias
Programmer

Total Points: Locked

Postby TheeLord » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:05 pm

I completely agree, I tend to have the most fun when I am constantly learning new things about a game and new things to do/ ways to play etc... When I start learning the pattern or feel like I'm winning too often I get bored.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Blah64 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:34 am

Every MMO I've stopped playing, it has been because of population. The population experienced extreme dry spells, so there was no one to play with, thus I stopped playing as well.
Blah64

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 119.00 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 am

any idea why the population dried up ? varied reasons or main code changes that forced people to quit ?
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Mostai » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 am

Reasons for MMO's Population to reduce - Private Servers. I know its a harsh subject to talk about on official websites but it's one that sheds the truth on where players go.

I used to play Last Chaos Constantly I mean it took over my life To the point where i would play until i fell asleep playing then when i woke up i played again! (Never gained a level xD) Reason i kept going back?
Community... I had an amazing guild that i talked to and loved talking to. But they all left due to new games coming out which had bigger better features and better graphics. But i nether the less stayed on Last Chaos, Due to half the guild still being there plus i put in the dedication on it. Then most of the guild died down until it was just me there playing alone for the guilds name sake.

Reason the rest left?
Private servers came out which shattered the whole community of the game and it never got back to it's glory. They would release a new patch introducing more and more things like new characters, new items, new systems, whole new design on the game. Yet no one came back due to the private servers had it all already from russians =/

So thats why I quit the old game that I got addicted to at one stage.

Why i quit War Of Immortals?
I quit war of immortals due to the level that i reached was one of the highest during the "Open Beta" stage then once they introduced new patch's i couldnt do anything people flew past me. I had no clue where i was going what i was doing Nothing. So that ended the game quickly for me having no guild or anything due to mostly foriegn people that played at the time.
Mostai

Total Points: 100.00 W¢

Postby TheeLord » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks for the feedback, I had not heard of either of these games. We will definitely not have private servers ;)
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 am

while some of us understand that private servers cant really be stopped, there are things we can do as both designers and coders to try to make it a hard chore.

i think the main thing to look at is why those servers exist in the first place, as a designer i would see what features they wanted to change and why they wanted to change them, in my experience albeit a jaded one, Private servers only exist when either the company running the official server chooses for whatever reason to annoy their playerbase either with a nerf of some favorite things or implimentation of unwanted things, of course not forgetting abandoning their playerbase or charging too much for essential items.

i hope we never do any of the above and i personally will strive to ensure the things we impliment are there for the good of the game.
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:54 am

Necro time!

In terms of multiplayer, I come from Guild Wars 2, Runescape, and (don't judge) Minecraft. Guild Wars 2 was great. Still is great, really. It just doesn't have enough players any more to fully enjoy the game. They also made some stupid economic decisions (semi-useful purchase-ables with real cash). They're starting to bring back the player base, but because they slacked badly for a while in between, they're having a hard time reviving it.

Runescape is just full of devs that make bad decisions. They have a bad habit of forgetting the veterans (very important to keep them happy), pushing them out with each new update. They did make a new version with a lot of the bad patched, but in total, they're running out of players too.

And, Minecraft. My favorite servers had all gone down for, I'm sure you can guess it, lack of players because of community and dev involvement.

It seems every time the devs in a game stop involving themselves (or begin pushing out the veterans), the player base instantly mimics their activity. I'm hoping Factions will be the exception to the abandonment of many good games for a long time after release.
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Bank: 346.44 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:56 am

we have no players - were still here :P
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:02 am

Triadian wrote:we have no players - were still here :P

Heh, well... yeah, you technically may not have the players, but you definitely have the community involvement. If it stays at about the same level into release, I seriously doubt there'll be player troubles.
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Bank: 346.44 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:09 am

well i personally used to be a GM on a game i cant mention as im under NDA but i think its closed down now anyways.

they taught me a lot about how to handle players both good and bad, had a lot of discussions about what i can and cant do to their corporate image.....

no-one here can tell me what to do.... although TheeLord tries :P so will see if i mess it up or not :P
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Jetcutter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:21 am

Confidence is high ;)
Jetcutter

Total Points: 24.68 W¢
Bank: 1,066.62 W¢

Postby Ameridat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:34 am

I'm not a gamer. I dabble a bit and like to think I do okay, but I don't buy 20 games a year and I've never even owned a console.

I was a LAN party RPG player (mostly FPS-RPG). Heretic II, Classic Unreal, Duke 3D, Doom, Quakes etc. Never much into the PVP 'Arena' style games, although Q3A against bots was amusing.

I branched into RPGs, things like Bioware's Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Seige, Dungeon Lords, and got heavily into Morrowind and Oblivion.

A friend bugged the sh(t out of me to play WoW, and eventually I gave in. This was back in Vanilla. I lasted (off and on) until Cataclysm but quit because I couldn't handle the direction they were taking the game.

Ended up in GuildWars I for a while. GF and I (we're together 15 years now) played together, and it was sort of fun, but damn did it feel like it was on rails.

Played a half dozen F2P games since. AOC was awesome the 1st 20 levels, not because it was a good MMORPG, but because it was a sweet single player game (Bioware style).

Skyrim... meh. Honestly I like Morrowind better.

So I never really "quit" my last game, except for WoW. I just gave up looking for a good one.

I've resorted to playing Action RPGs on Android tablet just so my brain doesn't rot from boredom.
Ameridat

Total Points: 201.53 W¢

Postby RajCaj » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:19 pm

The term MMO has been watered down a bit as of late....so it's hard to say. I've been playing some MOBA games (Dota 2 & Heros of the Storm) lately, and have also put some time into H1Z1 & DayZ. I wouldn't consider these traditional MMORPGs though, and those game experiences have not satisfied my thirst for a good MMO to call home.

The last traditional MMORPG I've spent a significant amount of time in was World of Warcraft. I started playing it at launch and had a hell of a time with it up until about the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. By that point I was fatigued with the fetch / kill quests & was discouraged with the trend the developers took with watering down the challenging aspects of the game, in order to expand their playerbase by making game play easier to jump into.

While playing WOW, I've tried out many different new MMOs in search of a new MMO home, but ended up dropping those games really quick (Rift, Aion, Warhammer, Guild Wars 2). None of them ever stuck, despite their high production value & polish, because it was essentially the same game. The fatigue for mundane fetch & kill quests followed me to these new games because they had me running the same mundane fetch & kill quests.

The last Sandbox MMORPG I played was probably Lineage 2. It's not a pure sandbox, but had many sandbox elements...in particular open PvP & open methods to progression. There were some quests...but were not the sole basis of leveling or exploration. The game certainly didn't have training wheels, and placed a high focus on the community...both in competition & cooperation.

I finally quit after 4yrs of playing...mostly because my guild left the game, but also because the black market currency & game resource farming killed the economy (requiring RMT to stay competitive) and the characters becoming too overpowered as subsequent expansions introduced bigger damage skills / spells, bigger buffs, etc. Anytime you are getting 2 shot killed at range, PvP is not fun. I thought they put too high a focus on gear in PvP, making it a greater factor of who wins a battle than a person's ability to play their character effectively.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that I played UO for about 4 years.....the game was as close to an ideal sandbox MMO that I'd like to play now than I've come across in a very long time. As a matter of fact, I put some time into classic private servers after the official servers underwent a HUGE overhaul of how the game worked...making it more item based than skill based. PvP was wrecked soon after the Age of Shadow expansion and the game hasn't been the same since....although it's still running!
RajCaj

Total Points: 245.00 W¢

Postby TheeLord » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 am

Thanks so much for your response RajCaj, Nice little read, and I can relate to most of it for sure!
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Return to FACTIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION