This is the place to discuss anything regarding Factions. Post suggestions, ask questions etc...

Re: What feature would you most like to see in Factions?

Postby Triadian » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:45 am

whiskers434 wrote:i want to ask the question again

if you could have any feature or piece of content in factions what would it be and why?

hmmm the questions still stands from the first time, although i guess we do need to state that people can answer the question as many times as possible.
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby whiskers434 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:57 am

Jetcutter wrote:You asked, Blacksmith

yeah good idea

probably for a blacksmith they might be smelting metals and creating tools and armor and possibly even repairing tools and armor, that's what a blacksmith would normal do any way

but if you don't have any raw ores, metals or fuel for your fire then what else could you do as a blacksmith?

there might be a blacksmith skill or tech tree path for blacksmiths but not sure yet

what would like to see for a blacksmithing system?

all the core systems are done to make this possible, its more based on content so until we get enough content added to make blacksmiths worth while there won't be much black smithing to be done
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby Triadian » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 pm

whiskers434 wrote:all the core systems are done to make this possible, its more based on content so until we get enough content added to make blacksmiths worth while there won't be much black smithing to be done

like everything in factions we try to put the core mechanics in first with enough flexibility behind the scenes to allow for the content designs we have laid to be successful, but those content designs take time and effort and we plan to flesh out each area as time goes on. so while we have grand plans for blacksmiths it may take sometime for us to implement all of them to a standard where blacksmithing becomes a fun and enjoyable way to spend time within the game.
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:09 pm

On the topic of our "grand plans" for crafting skills.. I think our players will be very pleasantly surprised at the flexibility of our resource system. An item can be a member of up to four resource categories and have different effectivness and durability ratings in each of those categories. So you can have a type of stone (ie: granite, sandstone, flint etc..) have one durability and effectivness rating for use as a blunt tool (hammer) and a completely different rating for use as a sharp tool or construction material.

On top of the raw resources ratings, the items you craft are also affected by your skill level and also the effectivness of the tool used.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby whiskers434 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:02 pm

TheeLord wrote:On top of the raw resources ratings, the items you craft are also affected by your skill level and also the effectivness of the tool used.

are the states on crafted tools and weapons constant or do they change with use?
think a reset and wipe will fix that...
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby TheeLord » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:32 pm

whiskers434 wrote:
TheeLord wrote:On top of the raw resources ratings, the items you craft are also affected by your skill level and also the effectivness of the tool used.

are the states on crafted tools and weapons constant or do they change with use?

I'm thinking they will have the same effectivness until they break and need to be fixed. At which time they will lose some effectivness and durability when repaired (the amount depending on skill level and tools used in the repair)

So if you have a really epic sword, you will want to make sure you have it maintained by the best tradesman when it breaks. (again promoting teamwork, cooperation and skill scarcity)
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Jetcutter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 am

Me Likes!
Jetcutter

Total Points: 24.68 W¢
Bank: 1,066.62 W¢

Postby whiskers434 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:10 pm

farming
think a reset and wipe will fix that...
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby TheeLord » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:34 pm

whiskers434 wrote:farming

Definitely! We should have a pretty in-depth farming / growing simulation. Also, we should implement food spoiling. Played Ark and while food spoils a little too quickly IMO, it makes for a more interesting food system then other survival games I've tried where food is sometimes good forever and you end up with Giant stockpiles of the stuff never to worry about hunger again.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:48 pm

agreed on all the food points - possibly players could invent ways to keep their food from spoiling to make food last longer - cooked food lasting longer than raw food - cold food lasting longer than cooked food etc

loads of possibilities - should you harvest your crop when its at it max yield or wait for it to change into its seeds stage and get more seeds to plant thus making sure you have an endless supply of seeds etc.
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Triadian wrote:agreed on all the food points - possibly players could invent ways to keep their food from spoiling to make food last longer - cooked food lasting longer than raw food - cold food lasting longer than cooked food etc

loads of possibilities - should you harvest your crop when its at it max yield or wait for it to change into its seeds stage and get more seeds to plant thus making sure you have an endless supply of seeds etc.

for sure
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Khranos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:55 am

I like the sound of all that, as well. The "un-spoiling food" system really does become bland and boring after a small chunk of time. In addition to cooked and cold food, you could even have a salted and jarred feature to create food that lasts for very lengthy amounts of time.

I just hope you keep it generally reasonable, however! Some games seem to make some food last for about an in-game day (ahem, "Don't Starve" for one), and it's really just not fun. In my opinion, the time should be just long enough to keep mass-stockpiling from occurring unless you have the technology to do so.
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 346.44 W¢

Postby TheeLord » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Khranos wrote:I like the sound of all that, as well. The "un-spoiling food" system really does become bland and boring after a small chunk of time. In addition to cooked and cold food, you could even have a salted and jarred feature to create food that lasts for very lengthy amounts of time.

I just hope you keep it generally reasonable, however! Some games seem to make some food last for about an in-game day (ahem, "Don't Starve" for one), and it's really just not fun. In my opinion, the time should be just long enough to keep mass-stockpiling from occurring unless you have the technology to do so.

I like your "canning" and salting ideas! Thanks!

You're saying one day is too short of a time? In ARK it's more like 1/4 of a day (maybe 20 minutes real time?)
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Previous

Return to FACTIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION