This is the place to discuss anything regarding Factions. Post suggestions, ask questions etc...

Factions Team: Hey, what's your influences?

Postby Ameridat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:42 pm

One for the factions team:

What games, SP or MP, are influential in your perspective on the direction of Factions?
Ameridat

Total Points: 201.53 W¢

Re: Factions Team: Hey, what's your influences?

Postby Triadian » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:02 pm

wurm, xyson, warcraft, SWG, DAOC, AO, are my main ones - or rather my hatred of some of the things they do.

they all get some things right and some things wrong, my aim is to blend them all together without blending any together.... does that make sense??? oh noes....
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:59 pm

SWG, DAOC, WoW, EVE, Civilization, SimCity, Europa Universalis, Savage, Starcraft, Minecraft... These are all incredibly influential to me in Faction's design. I think initially I started thinking of this game way back in 2006 when WoW was my obsession because of it's polish etc... but I still missed the complexity of SWG and DAOC. I was playing Civilization 3 or 4 and Savage (or Savage 2 can't remember) one day not long after I first started thinking of creating an MMO when the ideas really started coalescing into the main points of this game.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Ameridat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Tri: How did Xsyon work out? I never played it, but followed it around release. It couldn't seem to establish whether it was a homesteading game (does that make sense) or a player political PVP game.

TL: Europa Universalis, Savage? Never heard of either. Any good? What sort of games are they?
NOTE: I totally relate to WoW's polish. Absolutely blew me away. I still remember rolling my first character.

BTW: thank-you both for answering :-)
Ameridat

Postby Triadian » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:15 pm

oh god i hate reviewing games for fear of slander :P

I found xyson about a million years ago and i believe some or most of what i am saying has changed..... first some background.... whenever i play sandbox games i try to be as much of a thief as possible while sticking to the rules and not aiming at griefing... so my first adventure into the world i went for a wander as you do... explored a lot of what seemed like a huge map... found a lovely lake and decided i wanted to build my own house in the middle of the lake... i swam all the way out there to this lil island in the centre only to find out it had been claimed by someone who surely couldn't be called cock as as much as cock island sounded fun it was kinda childish... anyways i wasnt allowed to build on the island nor chop any trees or anything of the sort :( - i figured i would have to have a house on the edge of the lake. so swam to one side - after chatting to the local folks i had to find an unclaimed bit of land or join a guild in order to have building rites on their island. i did find a spot covered in trees. going the the middle of the forest i decided to start cutting a few down to make my own place in the forest. after spending a good 5 or 6 hours i made a clearing and had piles of logs all over the place. i logged out and went to bed ready to build the next day. i awoke to find the clearing wasnt clear and all the trees had automagically grown back and my piles were still there wedged inbetween trees :( feeling annoyed i asked if any guilds were around who would help a noob out.

i found a guild who told me the best thing to do was search piles of scrap for mats and become a carpenter as building seemed to be the only thing in the game worth doing it was at this point my brain finally realised i had not seen an animal at all in my travels and nothing even remotely worth attacking - i asked about combat in my newly found guild and they said if i wanted when i logged out i could leave my guy standing in a corner to grind combat while i was asleep. i spent the day collecting junk from trash heaps and walking ever so slowly back to my guild built house with my guild built baskets to store my useless junk. i lasted about a week helped my guild build a barricade and thats about it.....

TLDR: no combat, dodgy land ownership, bad names of areas, terraforming that allows childish images to be built and a boring slow game that offered me little to no enjoyment.... def join a guild as the solo game sucks
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:27 pm

I also played Xsyon and came to similar conclusions as Tri.

Europa Universalis is a grand strategy game, slightly similar to Civilization. It's a slow, alternate history "simulator"? You can get multiplayer games that last for months with up to like 30 players. Sorta Like the best board game you'll ever play. One of my favorite games ever. http://www.europauniversalis4.com/

Savage is a FPS / RTS hybrid game where one commander leads strategy and issues commands to the other players on his team who play in FPS mode to build buildings and fight the enemy forces. AWESOME CONCEPT except it was just not executed perfectly, leading to the RTS players not usually listening to the commander. Is fun to play with for a little while. http://www.savage2.com/en/main.php
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Ameridat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:22 pm

Yikes, that's sad about Xsyon. For a while it was expected to be awesome, not awful. It sort of sounds like they got as far as an engine tech test, but not much farther.

I have another one I'm curious about. And brief is fine, I don't want to jam up anyones time. I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around what goes on in the head of a Sandbox dev. This is a really cool opportunity to ask :-) ... and I trust you people to be honest rather than those canned "interviews" which tend to be ... uhm... less than useful *grin*.

The game was Final Earth or Fallen Earth, I don't recall. It was a weird experience reading about it because perspectives ranged from "not even close to a sandbox" to "best modern sandbox out there".

I tried to play it after F2P conversion, but didn't understand it. Could either shed some light on how you saw it, if at all? Good game, much in terms of sandbox game mechanics?

Note: If you want, I'll drop a few more questions and your web person could roll this into a publicity oriented personality piece for web visitors. Personal relate is a great marketing tool, and it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)
Ameridat

Postby Triadian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:11 am

i was a beta tester for fallen earth, might even of been an alpha i cant remem. i loved the premise of the game - its gameplay was ok and i was hooked for a lot longer than normal

its issues stemmed from being very samey - it was a kill X critters to get this part and kill X critters to get that part - the weapons were very distant in terms of power so having a gun outlevel you came very quickly and you had to source parts for an upgrade or go attack a humaniod in the hopes they dropped one, i loved the crafting aspect of it, but everyone did everything which kind of made it dull as hell as if you wanted something making you asked people and got either make it yourself or some kind people would say i have 10 i dont use have these etc

i would go back to it and try again - i dont think F2p hurt it too much. not even sure its still running. :(

TLDR: very grindy, everyones the same, levels are huge jumps in power meaning your items get left behind and need replacing quickly.

actually one other thing i just remembered - their spawn system sucks - if you want a yellow bellied rabbit they spawn only in one area of the map and you have to goto that area passing red bellies and green bellies along the way - ffs let monsters move more than 10 steps from their spawn point. i like hunting my prey.
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:43 am

I'm not part of the team, I just saw a more rare game that I knew, got excited, and had to post

I remember Savage! I had actually gotten one of the physical beta copies, and it was an interesting game. I think that was also around the time Risen (or was it Myst or something?) came out for beta as well, but that's not important. Never was able to get into Savage 2, went to Natural Selection 2 instead.

And I was accepted into the Fallen Earth something (can't remember either), but my computer at the time wasn't good enough to really test it. Sad to hear to fell flat on its face, though.

Anybody remember Earth Eternal? (I think it died out for similar reasons)
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 346.44 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:54 am

post said team not devs :P your part of our team :P we love you.....
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:56 am

Triadian wrote:post said team not devs :P your part of our team :P we love you.....

Oh... *sniff*. -And that's a great example as to why I keep checking back!
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Postby Jetcutter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:11 am

Khranos wrote:
Triadian wrote:post said team not devs :P your part of our team :P we love you.....

Oh... *sniff*. -And that's a great example as to why I keep checking back!

Group Hug :?: ,..... Who smells like Bacon?
Jetcutter

Total Points: 24.68 W¢
Bank: 1,066.62 W¢

Postby Ameridat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:15 am

Greets Khranos !!!

Okay... been saving this one for last. And not without reason.

Let me preface this by saying I saw video of a game, it was a Guild video made during pubic beta. Even though the game had art issues, the guild was having a fun time in-game and it showed. Watching the video, I washed I was there with them. That's rare. I don't PVP, it messes with my head.

Darkfall

Is it really the spiritual successor to Ultima Online and the MMO version of Morrowind?

Or is it just a random run in circles gank-fest? Or something somewhere in between?

And I can't mention Darkfall without Mortal Online since those two were constantly compared.
Ameridat

Postby Ameridat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:19 am

Khranos wrote:Anybody remember Earth Eternal? (I think it died out for similar reasons)

Name rings a bell, but I think I've got the wrong game. What I remember was a Korean quest-grinder. I actually like those as long as I can just PVE. I never get very far, get bored and don't come back.
Ameridat

Postby Ameridat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:20 am

Jetcutter wrote:Group Hug :?: ,..... Who smells like Bacon?

BACON !!! Sorry, I think TV damaged my brain in the 80s.
Ameridat

Postby Khranos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:28 am

Ameridat wrote:Greets Khranos !!!

Hello to you as well!

I honestly think the game was Korean, and it was very grind-ey. It was weird because all the characters were animals, and it couldn't market well in the US. I only liked it because I had some great names reserved :lol: .

And about the bacon... :?
Khranos

Postby Ameridat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:23 am

Khranos wrote:
Ameridat wrote:Greets Khranos !!!

Hello to you as well!

I honestly think the game was Korean, and it was very grind-ey. It was weird because all the characters were animals, and it couldn't market well in the US. I only liked it because I had some great names reserved :lol: .

Yep, that's it. The animals thing was kind of odd. Perhaps doesn't translate well in culture. I don't think I made it past level 5.

Related note, if they don't mind us being chatty. I actually like some of the older Korean games quite well. I played one on Aeria called Shaiya, which I think was an old L1 clone (or maybe clone of something prior to L1). Public dungeons, lots of grouping, definitely not easy mode. Very refreshing after "convenient" become the big push in MMORPG design.

I'm going nutso in my own. Take a peek at GraphicalMUD.com if you get a chance. Trying to take old-school retro to a whole new (or old?) level.
Ameridat

Postby TheeLord » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:32 am

Ameridat wrote:Darkfall

Is it really the spiritual successor to Ultima Online and the MMO version of Morrowind?

Or is it just a random run in circles gank-fest? Or something somewhere in between?

And I can't mention Darkfall without Mortal Online since those two were constantly compared.

I never played enough of Darkfall to really say, it is more polished then Mortal Online, Xsyon, etc... but I did not have much fun myself playing for the ~4 hours I did. They seemed to try for a hybrid Sandbox/ theme park and it just didn't play well. You load in and you have a few quest hubs to pick up missions. Enemy camps are hundreds of yards apart and in huge "nodes" of enemies.. There is a ton of dev-created towns and content. Players can only build their towns with pre-determined plans in pre-determined locations. it's a themepark game with more freedom then most, but it's not a good themepark and not a good sandbox...

I just don't understand why these games try to have it both ways, doesn't work IMO.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:50 am

Ameridat wrote:Related note, if they don't mind us being chatty. I actually like some of the older Korean games quite well. I played one on Aeria called Shaiya, which I think was an old L1 clone (or maybe clone of something prior to L1). Public dungeons, lots of grouping, definitely not easy mode. Very refreshing after "convenient" become the big push in MMORPG design.

I'm going nutso in my own. Take a peek at GraphicalMUD.com if you get a chance. Trying to take old-school retro to a whole new (or old?) level.

Knock yourselves out - every time you mention darkfall or GraphicalMUD.com or even RealmLords.com or any of those other games google shoves us into their searches :P so more people who are looking for games like them find us. :P

Keep up the good PR work :thumbsup:
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Ameridat wrote:I'm going nutso in my own. Take a peek at GraphicalMUD.com if you get a chance. Trying to take old-school retro to a whole new (or old?) level.

I've checked out the page a couple times, looks like something pretty interesting. Have any recommendations on the place to start? (trying to decipher which mentioned games might fit into this category)

Triadian wrote:Knock yourselves out - every time you mention darkfall or GraphicalMUD.com or even RealmLords.com or any of those other games google shoves us into their searches :P so more people who are looking for games like them find us. :P

Keep up the good PR work :thumbsup:

I forgot that Google did that... well, I'm glad that our lack of staying completely on track in threads has been helpful :lol: .
Khranos

Postby Christopher Walker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Is it considering stealing if you take ideas of some games to make/improve your own? Or is it just inspiration/influence, like OP said? I don't know much about developing, but every game is copyrighted.
Christopher Walker

Bank: 138.29 W¢

Postby Triadian » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:31 pm

it depends really on how you copy it.

if you reverse engineer or get hold of original source and use it - thats bad
if you blatantly copy something - thats bad

if you take something and add something different to it then it becomes a variation - not so bad
if you take something and create something that still uses the original then its a derivative - not so bad - unless the original vanishes.

if you take an idea and create your own way of implementing that then you only need to worry about IP copyright.
Triadian
Website & GUI

Return to FACTIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION