This is the place to discuss anything regarding Factions. Post suggestions, ask questions etc...

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Your territory, your rules

Postby TheeLord » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 am

We are trying to come up with a good level of gameplay / realism regarding Faction rules and the penalties given to those who break them. Lets take the below situations:

A faction has claimed territory which contains many iron deposits. It is now within their power to set rules on this land to govern who (within and outside of their faction) has access to do various actions on that territory. They decide that they will allow other factions (with whom they are neutral or better relations) to move freely through the territory, but that they will not allow them to harvest any resources from that territory.

Player B comes along and sees a cluster of iron ore which he can really use to craft a new batch of shortswords. What should happen??

A- Player B is told "You cannot do this here, the rules of XYZ Faction prevents it, if you want to continue mining and suffer the consequences with XYZ Faction Press OK" The player can either press cancel to cancel the action or OK to mine the node and face whatever consequence XYZ Faction has setup, which could mean their faction is now at war with you or maybe yours has just suffered some decreased rep with theirs which could mean less access for your faction to their lands etc...

B- Player B is told "You cannot do this here, the rules of XYZ Faction prevents it, if there is an agent of Faction XYZ present, you will suffer the consequences with XYZ Faction. Press OK to Continue" The player can either press cancel to cancel the action or OK to mine the node. If he does mine the node and there is a player, NPC guard, or another faction's member who is friendly to XYZ Faction, the same penalties will trigger as above.

Which do you think sounds more fair to everyone involved.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Your territory, your rules

Postby Triadian » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 am

just for the sake of options

C- Player B is told ""You cannot do this here, the rules of XYZ Faction prevents it," the action is then cancelled and cannot be done.

D- Player B is told ""You cannot do this here, the rules of XYZ Faction prevents it, if you do Faction XYZ will be immediately notified and may come to stop you".

in summary :-

A: you get the node and bad faction rep
B: you get the node and bad faction rep if seen.
C: you cant get the node.
D: you get the node but Faction XYZ get given a message in-game and possible E-mail.

can you think of any other alternatives ?
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby whiskers434 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:24 pm

i like option B as it provides the most game play opportunities

*my opinion for stealth game player

a piece of land might only me guarded by an npc guard who is on patrol, so if you can avoid detection you can steal the goods without the faction knowing

but if you are caught trying to steal the guard will know you stole or tried to steal meaning you incur the penalties, the guard will then chase you and might even call for help alerting other guards in the area
think a reset and wipe will fix that...
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby RajCaj » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Given my prior MMO experiences, I'm predisposed to option "B"

Option "B" could also serve the same function as option "D", if the faction player or NPC that witnesses the "criminal" behavior sends out a faction message, or posts to a faction bounty board the name & location of the offender & where the offence took place.

It also allows for someone to "get away" with the ore if they are crafty & calculated enough to pull it off.
RajCaj

Total Points: 245.00 W¢

Postby Avius37 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:56 am

I think that if there is an outpost, or some sort of watch tower that is erected in the faction, then it notifies the faction right away, a larger faction would be more difficult to control in this manner, and more realistic. I think B, and C. that way if there is a faction raid, they can fight over the resources. perhaps an or free agents can purchase some sort of mining permit
Avius37

Total Points: 127.89 W¢

Postby Triadian » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:59 am

Avius37 wrote:I think that if there is an outpost, or some sort of watch tower that is erected in the faction, then it notifies the faction right away, a larger faction would be more difficult to control in this manner, and more realistic.

would the tower need to be manned ?
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Avius37 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:01 am

Also each outpost could require a fee for the faction to employ sentries, to deter a single faction from holding all the resources, and providing a more realistic enforcement upkeep cost to the faction
Avius37

Total Points: 127.89 W¢

Postby Triadian » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 am

Avius37 wrote:Also each outpost could require a fee for the faction to employ sentries, to deter a single faction from holding all the resources, and providing a more realistic enforcement upkeep cost to the faction

you would also need to find the sentries in the world - to hire
Triadian
Website & GUI

Return to FACTIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION