We're not just a bunch of game creating nerds, say hello and chat about non factions stuff

'ello

Postby Blah64 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:52 pm

'Ello Everone!
I saw a post on mmorpg(dot)com about this game, then came to check it out.

What I've read/seen reminds me a lot of Dawntide, which I miss...

Just sayin' Hi I guess.

Oh, and keep it up!(as suggested in the newest post there)
Blah64

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 119.00 W¢

Re: 'ello

Postby TheeLord » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:54 am

Welcome and thanks for stopping in! Hope to see you around here. I noticed dawntide also just before it went under. Pretty similar ideas indeed.

Check out our questions of the week in the "focused feedback" section and provide whatever feedback you think you can give. Any and all would be appreciated.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Recon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:30 am

I remember Dawntide, sadly it went under, they spent time on stuff that they had no idea about, animations was one, combat was another and AI.

Crafting was great, The concept was great, but the issue is alot of people get stuck at the concept part. The issue is taking on an MMO for your first game can be a bad idea, most of the time Devs should be doing smaller games, like Iphone/Ipad, even Flash or facebook games, that way if they want to find an investor it can be easier .

What investor in there right mind will hand someone any cash if they never made a game before, and just has an idea. Also Devs need to have prototypes, I'm getting my degree in Game production and been in Game design for many years , I even tested games for over 20 years, paid and non paid. I study Game design like its going out of style, because I like to help make better games, because to many games are made just to make money now a days and the fun factor is just not there, this is why I support indie's.

Right now I been making more small scale games for the reason I stated. I do wish this team the best of luck. By the way what game engine are you guys using? or is this your own that you made?

I can't make it out by the screenshots.
Recon

Total Points: 70.00 W¢

Postby Blah64 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 am

Hey Recon!
Fancy seeing you here! :D

Recon wrote:What investor in there right mind will hand someone any cash if they never made a game before, and just has an idea. Also Devs need to have prototypes, I'm getting my degree in Game production and been in Game design for many years , I even tested games for over 20 years, paid and non paid. I study Game design like its going out of style, because I like to help make better games, because to many games are made just to make money now a days and the fun factor is just not there, this is why I support indie's.

I assume this part is talking about Factions?
Dawntide DID have an investor, and a working beta, so I don't think you are talking about DT.
Blah64

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 119.00 W¢

Postby TheeLord » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:31 am

Welcome Recon! Thanks for your words of advice. Hope to see you around often! :D
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:38 am

Recon wrote:but the issue is alot of people get stuck at the concept part. The issue is taking on an MMO for your first game can be a bad idea, most of the time Devs should be doing smaller games, like Iphone/Ipad, even Flash or facebook games, that way if they want to find an investor it can be easier .

What investor in there right mind will hand someone any cash if they never made a game before, and just has an idea. Also Devs need to have prototypes, I'm getting my degree in Game production and been in Game design for many years , I even tested games for over 20 years, paid and non paid. I study Game design like its going out of style, because I like to help make better games, because to many games are made just to make money now a days and the fun factor is just not there, this is why I support indie's.

the above comments are why i think the factions team are different, were not here to get an investor, we dont plan on selling out to a huge publisher only to have them ruin the game in the way that only publishing houses do and then watch it close in less than a year.

Recon wrote:I do wish this team the best of luck. By the way what game engine are you guys using? or is this your own that you made?

I can't make it out by the screenshots.

engines are a funny thing they dont allow you much room to adapt and create whatever you need to, so we are using C++ and a graphics to directx library, so as far as engines are concerned it should be classed as one we made
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Recon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am

sorry I have not had time to reply but anyways no this was not meant for Factions but for Dawntide, sorry I should have said that.

But as far as Engines goes, thats not totally true, you can work with Unity, Cry etc and make it to what you want it to do, is it always smart to no,but it also depends what you are doing so you can be smart about it to, and alot of game engines do more than most people think, , Look at Unreal is it meant for MMo's , heck no, but people do it. The reason most people use Game engines and the industry is going that route even more is to complete games faster before they are dated.

You see it now some what , but in the coming years 5-10 years, you will see more GameEngines produced and then moved to the Artist and done in 1 or 2 years.

Heck now you barely need programmers for alot of games now a days, and when I say programmers, I don't mean Scripting, you can get alot done by just scripting, and Artist, we have built many facebook games, games with Unity with very little programming. The Industry is really moving fast and working towards more so for the Artist is there a place for programmers heck ya, Game Engines, who else is gonna build them, Networking etc.

I do give people alot of respect for building there own in a timely matter and building a great game though. /kudos

About Investors, yes they are good and bad, depending, kick starter is growing and helpful for Indies thats for sure, but I was just stating why alot of indie's end up being Vaporware, which is pretty common. I have worked for a few indies and watch them go to Vapor ware because of things stated, I have tested many and see this happen. Sadly to many think They can make the Big Mmo and most people realize its way to much work and the cost is to great.

Xsyon, I know Jordi fairly well, sadly he got screwed by some of his team members in the begining and made himself sick to built the game, and made it through but it damaged the games rep, he is a fine programmer and knows his stuff but most gamers will NOT look at a game a 2nd time, so you only really have one chance at being successful with that game. I know he will be fine and hope he does well in the end, always supported that game as well.

Earthrise was another, I was there in Alpha, they failed to listen to anyone and look where they are, offline.. New company took over and they are just as rude to there player base, deleting post and talking down to them, that is set up to fail to, I mean so many companys do not look into Game Design enough, I'm I an expert No, but I work with this stuff and working towards my degree in Game Design, I been playing Games for about 20- 30 years or so, heck my commadore 64 still works. So just saying what I have seen.

Anyways this was not a negative reply towards Factions what so ever, it was towards Indies that are not to smart, Dawntide was one and earthrise was another, alot of people know me from alot of games, I test alot and I have a community in gaming so I been around for 14 years now my community that is.

I see Factions has a team that has a passion for the game, thats what intersted me in the first place, and I know they will always do well, by the way Graphics is not everything, Game play first then, graphics.

This is coming from an ARTIST.

PS: Dawntide did not have a real good investor, they ran out of money..poor management skills and I know I was in ALPHA since day 1 when there was only about 10 of us.
Recon

Total Points: 70.00 W¢

Postby Triadian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:41 pm

welcome back :P

no offence was taken by the factions team, were here to do what we do, if people think we wont succeed that just gives us more motivation to prove them wrong. so if your comment was about us, we welcome it not get offended by us.

we have also been around a long time too, hopefully long enough for us to see all the pitfalls ahead of time and navigate safely around them, this aint my first game and wont be my last :P but for the next few years it will do just fine.
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks for your well written post Recon!
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Return to RANDOM DISCUSSION and INTRODUCTIONS