We're not just a bunch of game creating nerds, say hello and chat about non factions stuff

Greets from Indiana :-)

Postby Ameridat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:45 am

A quick note saying hello.

Ken from north-west Indiana. I saw the information on MMORPG, stopped by to scope out how development is going, meet some people, see if I can scarf some free beer. :fullglass:

I'm in Internet administrator by profession, now retired due to health.

Best of luck on the project. I'm a HUGE FAN if non-corporate development. GO INDIES !!!
Ameridat

Total Points: 201.53 W¢

Re: Greets from Indiana :-)

Postby TheeLord » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:51 am

welcome welcome! Glad you registered. Hope to see some more of your ideas on providing "reasons" for using the tools we provide in game. I have personally thought for a very long time that this may be one of our bigger challenges, as I'm sure it is for all sandbox games.

BEER FOR YOU!!!!! :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass: :fullglass:

Things are really going great, 4 of us actively working on the game, months (not sure how many) away from closed testing phases and making a first try at publicity.

I'm from Chicago suburbs BTW, so we're kinda neighbors ;)
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Ameridat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:40 am

Good-luck. Consider me in line when you get to closed testing. Honestly, I can help. I know what to look for, and I know the differences between bugs, design flaws, glitches, missing features, and stuff that I personally don't like.

I'm just thrilled it isn't me who gets to fix the stuff :-) Been there. Have the t-shirt. Not again.
Ameridat

Postby Triadian » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:34 am

"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Jetcutter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Welcome from Ohio!!
Jetcutter

Total Points: 24.68 W¢
Bank: 1,066.62 W¢

Postby Khranos » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Welcome! It's always nice to see an unfamiliar face (name?) in these forums.
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 346.44 W¢

Postby TheeLord » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Ameridat wrote:Good-luck. Consider me in line when you get to closed testing. Honestly, I can help. I know what to look for, and I know the differences between bugs, design flaws, glitches, missing features, and stuff that I personally don't like.

I'm just thrilled it isn't me who gets to fix the stuff :-) Been there. Have the t-shirt. Not again.

What did you work on if you don't mind me asking?
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Ameridat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:59 pm

I was a developer for the Torque MMO Kit by Prairie Games. I didn't work for PG. I was an Indie using their engine / MMO framework and I helped out in the community (now defunct).

My first game 'RealmLords' released but shut down shortly after because of client compatibility issues (old OpenGL engine couldn't handle it). My second was 'Wizards and Champions' beta (newer DX8 DX9 engine) but it never hit full release because I got sick.

Currently I'm re-writing WAC now as a new game. I'm completely dropping MMO and releasing as a Graphical MUD.

http://www.GraphicalMUD.com

I'm not a professional programmer. I'm a network administrator who programs. C, C++, and Python are my big-3, and I dabble in D3D shaders.

I hope this isn't a turn-off. I have related skillset and am glad to help out. Heck, at this point I'm glad to be breathing... but that's another story. :-)
Ameridat

Postby Ameridat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Jetcutter wrote:Welcome from Ohio!!

Mid-West, the MMO capital of the world. Well, except for Korea, but who cares. :-)
Ameridat

Postby Ameridat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:02 pm

Triadian wrote:BEER

Oh my... that's great !!!

What drinking problem? I drink, I fall down... No problem.

Although I don't drink much anymore *burp*
Ameridat

Postby TheeLord » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Ameridat wrote:I was a developer for the Torque MMO Kit by Prairie Games. I didn't work for PG. I was an Indie using their engine / MMO framework and I helped out in the community (now defunct).

My first game 'RealmLords' released but shut down shortly after because of client compatibility issues (old OpenGL engine couldn't handle it). My second was 'Wizards and Champions' beta (newer DX8 DX9 engine) but it never hit full release because I got sick.

Currently I'm re-writing WAC now as a new game. I'm completely dropping MMO and releasing as a Graphical MUD.

http://www.GraphicalMUD.com

I'm not a professional programmer. I'm a network administrator who programs. C, C++, and Python are my big-3, and I dabble in D3D shaders.

I hope this isn't a turn-off. I have related skillset and am glad to help out. Heck, at this point I'm glad to be breathing... but that's another story. :-)

Awesome sounds like you would be a great help testing with that experience! I think Triadian dabbled with Torque quite a bit before joining our team if I'm not mistaken. We use C++ for our server, RakNet for our networking, Unity for our client btw.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:44 pm

torque - i liked that as an engine, just hated the loading saving aspect of the "levels" but yeah was fun,

i'm gonna send you a pm - hopefully you can help me with something ?
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Ameridat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Here's what I'm working on.

http://www.RealmLords.com

Target is nostalgic retro-gamers. Yeah, that's a slim niche, but that's okay with me.

It's TGEA 171 (circa 2008 or so), mostly licensed artwork, and hosted here at the house using ancient HP/Compaq servers running XP :-)

You can't get much more retro than that *wink*
Ameridat

Postby TheeLord » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Ameridat wrote:Here's what I'm working on.

http://www.RealmLords.com

Target is nostalgic retro-gamers. Yeah, that's a slim niche, but that's okay with me.

It's TGEA 171 (circa 2008 or so), mostly licensed artwork, and hosted here at the house using ancient HP/Compaq servers running XP :-)

You can't get much more retro than that *wink*

cool, I've never played a MUD, graphical or not. If the game is rendered, do you still need to type in all the commands?
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Ameridat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:06 pm

There's a UI. Controls and movement are wow-like, tab target, third/first person switchable.

A few commands are text. Join a guild, bind at the inn, etc. but most are just clicks.

The angle I'm taking on the MUD designation is mostly a way to differentiate it from modern MMORPGs. Not just graphics, but concept in general.

MUDs were hybrid virtual environments. They included RPG gameplay, but the concept was it was cool to interact with others in cyberspace. (Keep in mind, even e-mail was amazingly new at the time for most people) So a MUD was sort of a cross between a virtual space chat room / dress up game and a hack and slash RPG.

The clearest way I can describe it is: In an MMORPG you play 'The Game'. In a MUD you 'Play in the game world'.

There are similarities between Sandbox MMO gameplay and the MUD concept. You don't play the story, you ARE the story. That might click with some and not others. I'm not sure I describe it well. It's not something people understand unless they've experienced it.
Ameridat

Return to RANDOM DISCUSSION and INTRODUCTIONS