All the latest News & Info on what were doing to Factions

Dev Diary #6 - A Virtual Reality

Postby TheeLord » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi everyone, it has been quite some time since our last update and I wanted to fill you all in on the direction we are taking Factions in.

I have become extremely impressed and motivated by the emergence of virtual reality. I have been following OculusVR very closely and am increasingly convinced that I want to make Factions 100% VR compatible, while still being playable on a normal monitor. My Oculus Rift DK2 should be arriving in 2-3 weeks and I will begin testing it with Factions.

During the past few months I have spent a lot of time with the new Unity client and it is nearly caught up to where we left the old DarkGDK client version at. Terrain loading has been refined with blocks and objects loading and unloading based on terrain rendering distance. Multiple characters can once again share the same space and walk with eachother. With full movement interpolation and a reliable and low-cost movement update routine. Character model size and interaction, character control, camera controls have all been implemented correctly. Dozens, if not hundreds, of errors and problems with the code have been resolved and simplified with huge performance gains seen. Multiple server errors have also been corrected.

I only have a few more steps to bring the client back to where it was with our old, much inferior graphics engine. I need to implement crafting and construction of buildings along with some additional content before I am at this point. These are the next things I will be working on.

I hope that many of you are as excited about the Oculus Rift, and VR in general, as I am. I really do think it is the future of gaming and digital entertainment in general. I mean to be ahead of the pack with Factions as the best VR Fantasy Sandbox MMORPG available. I have also decided that possibly trying to do a kickstarter campaign for Factions in 6-12 months may be a very good idea. There are so many obstacles that could be overcome with even a very modest amount of funding.

So again, thank you for your interest in Factions, and please post any questions or comments you have below, we would love to hear from you. :thumbsup:
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Re: dev Diary #6

Postby austino » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:15 am

Haven't checked up in a while. Glad you guys are still doing it! VR stuff sounds pretty sweet. Stoked to see what is happening!
austino
Composer

Postby Triadian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:37 pm

yeah were both going ahead full steam atm - hopefully this time the train wont get derailed :P
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:09 am

^ +1
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS & NEWS