All the latest News & Info on what were doing to Factions

Dev Diary #7 - Crafting

Postby TheeLord » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi "Factions forum lurking early access program" members =) (you if you're reading this)

Just a quick update, the crafting interface is now functional and players can turn rocks into hammerstones, hammerstones into crude handled stone hammers and any other item we decide to code into the system. While it's not the prettiest interface and doesn't display all information that it eventually will, it functions very well, works with the inventory, server, etc.. etc.. which we are happy about =) A little preview of it is below.

crafting_sneak_preview.jpg
Crafting interface sneak preview
crafting_sneak_preview.jpg (125.72 KiB) Viewed 17688 times

Just to give a little more detail on the actual crafting system in Factions. Every item crafted will accept not simply an "item type" but an actual "resource category". For example, lets take our hammerstone item, which all players will have access to initially regardless of their starting skills chosen. The hammerstone is an important starting tool which will allow the creation of other stone tools and can be used in place of more advanced hammers to hammer, shape, crush, or defend yourself in a bind.

Hammerstone.png
Hammerstone_Icon
Hammerstone.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 17688 times

It is made from the "resource category" of "blunt tool stone". This is a classification of stone which distinguishes some stone varieties which will shatter or crumble when struck. For example, Granite is an excellent stone for blunt tools as it is very durable and does not shatter easily, whereas sandstone is still usable but will deteriorate quickly. Something like shale simply is not usable as a blunt stone tool.

So lets say we use granite in our hammerstone, we scavenge a piece of granite lying on the ground, it is of poor quality but will suffice. We place the item in our crafting interface and craft it, we now have a hammerstone that can be used to craft stone knives, stone arrowheads, some bone tools, etc.. etc.. The hammerstone now has the resource categories of "1 handed hammer" "hammer head" "hammerstone" meaning we can use this as a poor one handed hammer, affix it to a handle to make a crude (yet more effective) one handed hammer, or use it as a hammerstone for crafting which requires the precise control of a hammerstone (such as arrow or spearhead crafting).

I hope you enjoyed this and look forward to any feedback you might have =)
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Re: dev Diary #7

Postby Catcher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Amazing job guys !

I'm still waiting for early access invite, so far this is all feedback possible :)

Have a great day !
Catcher

Total Points: 50.00 W¢

Postby Triadian » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 am

Catcher wrote:so far this is all feedback possible :)

there is a whole section of questions we would like your feedback on... so there is still a lot you can put into the game"
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby TheeLord » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am

Thank you Catcher =) And yes, please have a look at the section Triadian linked. Even though the topics are old, we still have very few responses currently and would really appreciate more feedback. Take care.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby TheeLord » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:43 am

I just spent an entire minute staring up through branches at a tree! It was amazing. =) After my first initial tests with Factions in VR, I am even more convinced that I want to make Factions a great VR experience first and foremost. Just a little tease below =) I would look up the tree, but it didn't come off nearly as well in 2D haha

Factions_vr_test1.jpg
Factions_vr_test1.jpg (150.11 KiB) Viewed 17588 times
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Triadian,

Thanks for your pre-order!

This email confirms that we've received your pre-order on September 21, 2014 at 01:53 PM PDT.

Order Number: DP-000000X
Items:
Development Kit 2

We'll notify as you as soon as we have your item(s) in stock and your order is ready to be shipped. Please save this e-mail for reference. If there is a problem with your order, our support team will ask for your order number.

Please visit https://www.oculus.com/sales/ should you need to update your information or check your order status.

Thanks again,

The Oculus Team
www.oculus.com
support@oculus.com
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS & NEWS