This is the place to discuss anything regarding Factions. Post suggestions, ask questions etc...

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Do You Want A Job ?

Postby Triadian » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:02 am

NO, i didnt mean at MT Worlds - although fill out THIS APPLICATION form and you might get lucky...

anyways in game we plan on creating a game for all the different lifestyle choices players will make. will you be a farmer a miner a blacksmith a diplomat a thief or any other job in the massive list we have planned.

obviously we would love to give you all the job choices from day 1 but realistically they are all gonna take time to create and provide content in game for you to enjoy, so the question is what jobs are you most looking forward to playing ? obviously we are starting on mining leatherworking blacksmithing and farming cooking as those are primary survival jobs. we have quite an extensive list of things for the thief patch so that will be a later addition so what jobs should we bump to the front of the queue ? also let us know where you think that jobs main source of fun should come from, we dont want every job to involve killing we would expect some of you will stay in the village all day and be social and still have fun so what could we add that would be fun for a group of people to do.

basically what do you want to play and how would you like to play that role to have fun.
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Re: QUESTION OF THE WEEK: Do You Want A Job ?

Postby whiskers434 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:02 pm

i want to be a farmer
think a reset and wipe will fix that...
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby Jetcutter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Spy.
Jetcutter

Total Points: 24.68 W¢
Bank: 1,066.62 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:40 pm

Jetcutter wrote:Spy.

what kind of things would make a good spy game within a medieval type scenario ?
how could the other side trust you if you have belongs to "other faction" under your name ?
what would you spy for ?
"it would separate this project from others because the devs are cool and have a clue :-)"
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Jetcutter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Let me rephrase;
Counter Espionage would be a more fitting description. One who would find the resources being exploited by other factions, and reporting their locations for the gain of my own group (although if I am tagged with a certain faction name, this may be unrealistic, gamewise).
Although,If I am tagged in game, as belonging to a certain Faction, this idea may be out the window.
Jetcutter

Postby whiskers434 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:23 pm

scout or recon maybe
exploration
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby Jetcutter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:44 pm

whiskers434 wrote:scout or recon maybe
exploration

Guess that is where I was headed.
Jetcutter

Postby Triadian » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Jetcutter wrote:Let me rephrase;
Counter Espionage would be a more fitting description. One who would find the resources being exploited by other factions, and reporting their locations for the gain of my own group (although if I am tagged with a certain faction name, this may be unrealistic, gamewise).
Although,If I am tagged in game, as belonging to a certain Faction, this idea may be out the window.

nothing stopping us giving you a spy skill to hide your faction name but why would you do it ? how would you get the details of the other factions resources ?
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby whiskers434 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:28 pm

there is always the dirty tactics of infiltrating an enemy faction
whiskers434
Programmer

Postby Jetcutter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:29 am

whiskers434 wrote:there is always the dirty tactics of infiltrating an enemy faction

Kinda where I'm at @Whiskers, Guess the best way to say, Is to be a spy type. (not sure how this affects things) with the ability to join other factions. on a temporary basis. Gather info and perhaps recruit folks into a potential "Spy Band for Hire", I dunno, throwing stuff out there??

Thoughts?
Jetcutter

Postby TheeLord » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Jetcutter wrote:
whiskers434 wrote:there is always the dirty tactics of infiltrating an enemy faction

Kinda where I'm at @Whiskers, Guess the best way to say, Is to be a spy type. (not sure how this affects things) with the ability to join other factions. on a temporary basis. Gather info and perhaps recruit folks into a potential "Spy Band for Hire", I dunno, throwing stuff out there??

Thoughts?

Interesting idea, though I'm inclined to not put any special mechanics in for temporarily changing your faction or anything of the like. I think we should leave it a purely non-mechanical interaction where people actually leave their factions, then need to gain the trust of the other faction. Seems more realistic, and fun IMO. Plus players should be able to trust when they see "player is in faction X" that they are in fact in that faction.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Khranos » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 am

Either something political (owner of a faction if that's a "job", otherwise diplomat) or builder based, really. Any of those hold high levels of interest to me.

Otherwise, blacksmithing is always cool if something more specialized than what is stated above is requested.
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Total Points: 0.00 W¢
Bank: 346.44 W¢

Postby Triadian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 am

Khranos wrote:Either something political (owner of a faction if that's a "job", otherwise diplomat) or builder based, really. Any of those hold high levels of interest to me.

well everyone starts as the owner of a faction - how that faction grows or fails is upto you. maybe you join a bigger faction as a diplomat.

what could a diplomat do when there isnt meetings to attend ?
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:23 am

Triadian wrote:
Khranos wrote:Either something political (owner of a faction if that's a "job", otherwise diplomat) or builder based, really. Any of those hold high levels of interest to me.

well everyone starts as the owner of a faction - how that faction grows or fails is upto you. maybe you join a bigger faction as a diplomat.

what could a diplomat do when there isnt meetings to attend ?

Huh, that's an interesting way to look at it -- it makes a lot of sense.

Maybe diplomats could have something to do with trading (well, making temporary price agreements with other factions, not exactly hauling goods), something with land (like having free crossing agreements, the exchange of portions between factions), the ability to manage jobs inside your faction as well as post jobs in other friendly factions, something to do with peace/wars, et cetera. I suppose, just a lot of social/political agreements on the behalf of a faction (maybe when given that position by the owner of a faction since there's a lot of important things).

Of course, all of that at once would likely constitute too much power unless there's some sort of specialization with the job, and much of it could probably be handled without features and just with general agreements.

Looking at it now, it really seems that there'd be a lot of trouble finding enough content to make a job solely for a diplomat -- it seems it may be better off as a rank within a faction rather than a job.

(hopefully some of this ranting proves to be helpful :lol: )
"We're kept alive, by artificial means. But have lost our souls, to a world of machines" Ayreon, Natural Selection.
Khranos

Postby Triadian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 am

Khranos wrote:
Huh, that's an interesting way to look at it -- it makes a lot of sense.

Maybe diplomats could have something to do with trading (well, making temporary price agreements with other factions, not exactly hauling goods), something with land (like having free crossing agreements, the exchange of portions between factions), the ability to manage jobs inside your faction as well as post jobs in other friendly factions, something to do with peace/wars, et cetera. I suppose, just a lot of social/political agreements on the behalf of a faction (maybe when given that position by the owner of a faction since there's a lot of important things).

some nice suggestions in there - ty

one question about missions in other factions - wouldnt it be better to give everyone permission to do that ? if we restrict it to just diplomats i would think faction leaders might just make everyone a diplomat so they could post jobs ?

Khranos wrote:Of course, all of that at once would likely constitute too much power unless there's some sort of specialization with the job, and much of it could probably be handled without features and just with general agreements.

who would govern general agreements ? just leave it upto players ? should we add mechanics into the game to help you manage the agreements ? maybe things like if you agreed 20 sacks of potatoes for 20 sacks of carrots each month, that we automagically create those missions for you (1 on each faction mission board) then if one side fails the mission that month then the agreement is broken ? with warnings sent to both faction leaders ?

Khranos wrote:Looking at it now, it really seems that there'd be a lot of trouble finding enough content to make a job solely for a diplomat -- it seems it may be better off as a rank within a faction rather than a job.

good idea :thumbsup:
Khranos wrote:(hopefully some of this ranting proves to be helpful :lol: )

always !!!!!
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Khranos » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Triadian wrote:some nice suggestions in there - ty

one question about missions in other factions - wouldnt it be better to give everyone permission to do that ? if we restrict it to just diplomats i would think faction leaders might just make everyone a diplomat so they could post jobs ?

I think you're right about it being too restrictive for just a diplomat. It may be a bit too much for everybody to have (larger factions would flood the job/mission markets for other smaller factions), so maybe it could be tied to a lower rank and up to help alleviate that?

Triadian wrote:who would govern general agreements ? just leave it upto players ? should we add mechanics into the game to help you manage the agreements ? maybe things like if you agreed 20 sacks of potatoes for 20 sacks of carrots each month, that we automagically create those missions for you (1 on each faction mission board) then if one side fails the mission that month then the agreement is broken ? with warnings sent to both faction leaders ?

I really like the idea of that -- it isn't enforced really, but still has a major pull on diplomatic relations between factions! It sounds like a perfect balance between player-run and game moderated.

However, as for who could have control of this, it brings up the issue from earlier -- larger factions could flood the markets of smaller factions. And, it seems new people could join factions and make a trade agreement with another new player of another faction, and then an undesired agreement is made (and potentially not noticed) until it's time to pay up. I could see this being fixed with a similar system as mentioned above (assigning it to another lower rank, if you're planning on using a ranking system within factions that is!).

Triadian wrote:always !!!!!

Heh, and I'm glad to know I'm not just spewing useless opinions :D .
Khranos

Postby TheeLord » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:17 am

Khranos, one of the great parts about having a small community giving feedback is that you can read every single suggestion carefully :D So everyone's suggestions now are ten times as weighty IMO.
TheeLord
Lead Programmer

Postby Triadian » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 am

TheeLord wrote:Khranos, one of the great parts about having a small community giving feedback is that you can read every single suggestion carefully :D So everyone's suggestions now are ten times as weighty IMO.

of course we will still be reading every single suggestion when theres millions of you :thumbsup:
Triadian
Website & GUI

Postby Avius37 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:20 am

I think it would be unique if each craft had both a broad general skill as well as finer detail skills. I love when craftings/jobs are done right in a game. and is an integral part of character development. oddly enough I think Asheron's Call 2 had a very neat crafting system that had a certain appeal, with dissasembling other weapons and goods to make your own. What I mean by general skill and finer detail skill for example Smithing. within Smithing (I) you can have Blacksmithing(II) (heavy metal, and iron work), Whitesmithing(II)(gold and silver work), Smelting(II)(breaking down, and melting metal), Metal lore(II)(knowledge of metal, and how to use it). I also think that with a teaching training and apprenticing system there should be a technical knowledge as well as practical knowledge. trainers can teach the technical knowledge, but without the experience and practical knowledge doesn't mean you can make something great right off the bat. using the skill raises both technical knowledge and practical knowledge, whereas training can teach just technical knowledge. (perhaps the higher the technical knowledge= faster overall skill gain, and higher chance of making something exquisite) That way certain skills like Metal lore (II) can be used in enchanting, or spell weaving. this can lead to a more niche system some enchanters may excell in gems, gold, wood, cloth, leather, iron...etc and make a more in depth system
Avius37

Total Points: 127.89 W¢

Postby Triadian » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:58 am

lovely ideas here - i think we cover most of what your after - we dont split the skill into practical or theory though. we might discuss its merits but right of the bat i think it may confuse people having 2 stats per skill rather than the 1 we just have. but i'll consider if and how or when we can use that style.
Triadian
Website & GUI

Return to FACTIONS GENERAL DISCUSSION